SOURCES FOR CHINESE AND ORIENTAL ART
Thanks go to the Chinese Brush Painting Society http://cbps.org.uk/ for researching much of the following Museum and Gallery information.
The UK National Society for Chinese Brush Painting is a network and information source for those interested in ancient oriental art. They welcome UK and international members who wish to find like-minded people and up-to-date information about exhibitions, classes, equipment, techniques and artists.
On their site you can look at how to get started, find a Chinese Brush Painting teacher or a Chinese Painting class and get news and reviews. You can also discover classes for members and non-members at different levels of ability in Oxfordshire with the Oxfordshire Brush Painting Group.
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, and … online collection
- Pitt-Rivers Museum, Oxford
- Museum of East Asian Art, Bath. MEAA … online collection
- British Museum, London
- V&A, Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Compton Verney, Warwickshire, (antique bronzes)
- Bristol Art Gallery
- Terracotta Warriors Museum, Dorchester
- Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Japanese snowy scenes.
- Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery (Japanese prints)
- Durham University Oriental Museum
- Asian Pavilion Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
- Ostasiatiska Museet, Stockholm
- Freer & Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian, Washington DC
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York ,,, online collection & digitised journals Video tour … Chinese collections
- Asian Art Museum, San Francisco
- Asian Art collection at Princeton University Art Museum, New Jersey
- Harvard Art Museums, Boston, Massachusetts
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts
- Peabody-Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts – complete Chinese courtyard house, the Yin Yu Tang.
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio
- Nelson-Atkins Museum, Kansas city
- Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis
- Honolulu Museum of Art, Hawaii
- Palace Museum, Beijing includes Along the River at the Qingming Festival and River of Wisdom animation
- National Art Museum of China, NAMOC, Beijing
- Shanghai Museum
- Nanjing Museum
- Terracottta Army, Xi’an
- Sanxingdui Museum, Guanghan, Sichuan bronze masks
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King, Guangzhou, Guangdong
- National Palace Museum, Taiwan, … online images.
- Tokyo National Museum, Ueno Park, Tokyo
- Kyoto National Museum, Kyoto
- Osaka City Museum of Fine Arts, Osaka
Virtual collection of Asian Masterpieces (VCM): Asia-Europe Museum Network (ASEMUS) Asian masterpieces.
AUCTION HOUSES SUCH AS MALLAMS ALSO SOMETIMES SELL ART FROM PRIVATE COLLECTIONS AND THIS WILL LIKELY BE YOUR ONLY OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW THE WORKS